A note from Dawoon Kang, co-founder & -CEO of CMB
When I ask, “What is the first word that comes to you when you think of online dating?” The answer isn’t pretty. I hear that it’s exhausting, overwhelming, time-wasting.
And with the prevalence of swipe-based apps, I can understand why. After all, I was an active user of multiple dating apps for the past five years. And yeah — online dating sucks. So my team and I created Coffee Meets Bagel with a bold vision: to change the way singles experience online dating from “sucks” to “doesn’t suck.” In fact, we wanted to make online dating meaningful.
And to do that, we had to be different on purpose. Check out how, plus everything you’ll need to know for your first day on CMB below.
What to Expect
While social media apps, like Instagram and Twitter, are convenient tools when used purposefully, they’re also time-sucks. Infinity pools. Black holes. They’re happy to grab your attention and suck you into endless scrolling: photos of your friends’ vacations, breaking news, pop-culture trends, cats playing the piano.
And when dating apps exploded onto the scene, most of them followed this pattern. In fact, according to a recent study, more than one in 10 dating app users swipe for over 14 hours a week.
This didn’t vibe with us, so we chose a different approach.
Welcome to Slow Dating
Our “slow dating” approach emphasizes finding delight in the dating process. We pump the brakes on swiping to help you savor each meaningful connection. But this approach doesn’t take more of your time; in fact, it’s the opposite. Because we focus on quality > quantity, checking your potential matches should take just ~5 minutes per day. When you’re done, you’re done.
Plus, this approach has attracted a special kind of community. Eighty-six percent of our users are looking for long-term relationships 💖.
Checking Your Bagels
We’ll use information — like the preferences you set and who you’ve liked or passed on in the past — to curate a limited number of your best potential matches (aka bagels). Then, we send them to your Suggested section in the app just once per day.
We’ve made an app that’s free of distractions like loud colors because we want you to really focus on each bagel. Look at their photos. Get a sense of who they are in their details.
And then, before you can see your next bagel, make a decision to like or pass on them. Every time you like or pass on a bagel, we’ll learn more about you and your type, so tomorrow’s bagels will only get better.
It may even take a week to get your first match (when you like someone and they like you back). But that’s okay, too. Instead of feeling swipe-fatigue like on other apps, you can take a break and just live your life. We’ll continue working in the background to set you up with someone great.
Learnin’ the Lingo
Now that you know what to expect, let’s dive into a few terms that will help you better navigate Coffee Meets Bagel.
- Bagels: What we call your potential matches (That means you’re someone’s bagel, too!)
- Suggested: The section where we’ll curate a limited number of your best bagels daily around noon. These are your most compatible bagels (meaning you’re most likely to like each other!) Liking bagels in Suggested is 100% free.
- Discover: The section that’s “the schmear on top,” for when you want to browse extra bagels nearby beyond our suggestions. They may not meet your preferences, but we think they could still be a good match. Use beans to like bagels in this section.
- Beans: Earn or buy beans, our in-app currency, to use on special features such as liking extra bagels.
- CMB Premium: Our subscription package that includes special features, like Activity Reports, which give you access to more info on bagels, like how often they send the first message; and Read Receipts, which let you know when your messages have been read.
The Next Steps
Now that you know what to expect, make sure you’ve checked these must-do’s off your list:
Lots of love and kindness to you as you embark on your dating journey! Remember: it might take time, it might feel slow, or it might even feel discouraging at times. But, I hope you savor and enjoy the process!
Excited to start matching? If you haven’t already, download Coffee Meets Bagel on Android or iOS.