Safety is a huge priority for us, and we do everything within our means to prevent people from creating fraudulent accounts on CMB. That said, it’s still crucial that you be informed when speaking to people online. We’ve compiled a list of the typical stories and red flags from online dating scams. We encourage you to read through this list before engaging with anyone on the app.
Typical scammer profile and behavior:
- Profession in the military or engineering, works out of the country
- Recently widowed with children
- Overly complimentary with flowery, romantic language right off the bat
- Disjointed language and grammar, but high level of education (Masters, PhD, etc.)
- Quick to get you off the app and into email or some other messaging app
Never, ever send money to anyone you don’t know and haven’t met.
If you come across any suspicious profiles, please Report them in the app so we can remove their profiles and protect other members. Scroll to the bottom of their profile and click the Flag to “Report” so we can quickly find their account.
Here are some more safety tips to keep in mind when chatting and meeting people outside of CMB:
- There is never an acceptable reason to ask someone for money through the Internet. Immediately block this person from your phone or other apps if they ask for money or financial information. Report them to us so we can protect other members.
- Make sure you use your real Facebook account to sign up. We look at your network to match you with other singles close to your social network so you are not meeting complete strangers.
- Do not reveal too much personal information. Avoid giving them exact details about your place of work, residence, or phone number until after you’ve met up and feel 100% comfortable.
- Provide your own transportation when meeting up with someone you don’t know. Try a taxi service or drive yourself to the location. This also keeps the person from knowing where you live.
- Always meet at a safe public place. Coffee shops are a good option.
- If you feel uncomfortable or harassed, leave immediately. Report this person on CMB and block their number from your phone. Always follow your gut and instincts if you feel the situation is not safe. Dating should never be scary.
Please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions! We want you to have the best possible experience on Coffee Meets Bagel, and we are all better safe than sorry.